Legal Aid of Marin (LAM) seeks a full-time Executive Director whose leadership will support and advance the mission of this community-based legal services organization. Addressing the changing needs of the community, and working with the Board and staff, the Executive Director will strengthen the organization, increase and create new opportunities for funding, and otherwise support the organization in achieving its mission. Legal Aid of Marin has the benefit of a strong and supportive Board of Directors, a skilled, committed and collaborative staff, a balanced budget and an excellent reputation in the County and beyond. In 2018, Legal Aid of Marin will be celebrating its 60th Anniversary.
Legal Aid of Marin’s mission is to provide access to the civil justice system to low-income, vulnerable and otherwise underserved residents of Marin County. We strive for practical solutions to client problems through quality legal service. For more information on our mission and what we do, visit www.legalaidmarin.org.
A successful Executive Director will have: leadership experience in community-based nonprofit organizations; an understanding and appreciation of Marin’s cultural diversity; the ability to navigate between government agencies, other nonprofits, community leaders and political bodies; demonstrated success in eliciting financial support through both donor outreach and grant writing; strong organizational skills; financial acumen; program planning skills; human resource management experience; and excellent oral and written communication skills. Experience managing a legal services nonprofit or law degree are each a significant plus but not required.
- Promote the Mission: Support the mission of LAM at the operational, strategic and more policy-making levels.
- Maintain relationships within and a deep knowledge of our community, assuring that the organization has an effective long-range strategy to achieve its mission, provide leadership for its programs, strengthen organizational matters and implement Board-approved financial plans.
- In conjunction with the management team and staff, identify areas where systemic or policy reforms are needed and lead or oversee LAM’s work with other advocacy groups and stakeholders to promote systemic or public policy changes, legislative reforms, and public awareness of issues benefiting LAM clients.
- Fundraising & Development: Design and execute LAM’s development strategy, including: writing annual reports; identifying potential foundation and corporate partners, preparing grant proposals, and assuring compliance with grant conditions; cultivating donors; overseeing fundraising special events; leading fundraising campaigns; and maintaining the development database.
- Finance & Risk Management: Provide leadership and oversight to assure sound financial practices and budgets, complying with legal/tax requirements, and expand revenue sources within the mission of LAM.
- Maintain LAM’s financial health through County and State budget advocacy, private fund development and other appropriate sources of revenue.
- Negotiate contracts for services with contracting agencies.
- Oversee and exercise authority on all budgetary matters, in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Board Administration/Support: Report to the Board concerning the organization, community needs, proposals and initiatives, financial issues and other matters, and lead the Board in their involvement in fundraising and volunteer activities.
- Attend and participate in all Board meetings, set the agendas, prepare reports and supporting materials, and keep the Board and its Chairperson regularly apprised of all significant developments including but not limited to financial, staff, programs, clients and community.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement those policies; review existing policies annually and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate.
- Organizational & Staff Oversight: Oversee a staff of attorneys, paralegals, support staff and volunteers (in collaboration with the Managing Attorney). Provide leadership and guidance, maintain high-quality staff, foster collegiality and respect, and support professional development.
- Lead and oversee planning for the development of organizational goals and objectives with policies and procedures that promote and facilitate the best practice goals LAM strives to achieve.
- Monitor service delivery, to assure a top-quality level of expertise, and be responsive to needs of staff and volunteers maintaining a cooperative office culture which promotes best practices, transparency, passionate representation of clients, and a shared mission and values throughout the firm including cultural receptivity and acceptance.
- Compliance: Maintain primary responsibility for LAM’s compliance with all policies, rules, regulations and statutes set forth by the County Superior Court, the State of California, the California State Bar, the Administrative Offices of the Court and all other relevant governing bodies.
- Community/Public Relations: Serve as an ambassador to the community, cultivate relationships with groups, individuals and organizations, develop collaborative programs, and promote the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Maintain positive working relationships with local department officials, Administrative Office of the Courts, legislative staff, members of the California Legislature and/or their staff, the Marin County Superior Court, auxiliary legal service providers and the press and other media.
- Represent or designate LAM representatives at local, statewide and national workgroups, conferences and meetings.
To apply, please follow the directions below. Please respond the following way via email:
- In the Subject line of the email put your Last name and LAM
- Email a word or pdf document of your resume and a cover letter, in separate documents to: email@example.com
- Please include your LinkedIn profile URL and where you saw the job posting
- Your candidacy will be held in the strictest confidence
APPLICANTS please read this COMMUNICATION: You will only be contacted if your skills and experience closely fit the specific requirements of this position. If you do not hear from us, we will keep your resume on file in case we can refer you to another organization. We will not release your resume or contact information without your permission. All applicants will be considered. Thank you for applying for this position.
|Job Category||Legal Services, Nonprofit|